Frequently Asked Questions about Your TEACH Account
Below are frequently asked questions from users of
- Creating a Username and Password to access the TEACH System
- Account Information
- College Students and Graduates
- Deleting Information Entered
- Editing Information Entered
- Education and Employment
- Incomplete Records in my TEACH account
- Name Change or Social Security Number Update
- Status of Application
- Test Scores
The TEACH system is designed for various users to perform various functions regarding teacher certification and fingerprinting. You may access information based upon the role you hold. We have two types of accounts created to address these various roles: the PERSONAL ACCOUNT (applicant) and the ADMINISTRATIVE ACCOUNT (college administrators, school and district administrators, and agencies).
- PERSONAL ACCOUNT: Through this account you access your own certification and fingerprint records using the TEACH system. To access your personal account you must complete the TEACH self registration process if you have not already done so. During this process you will choose a username and password and have your identity validated by the TEACH system.
Validating your identity will ensure your certification and fingerprint records are properly linked to your personal TEACH account. After you have completed the self registration process you will be able to use the TEACH system to access your certification and fingerprint information as well as the TEACH system online services.
- ADMINISTRATVE ACCOUNT: A TEACH administrative account allows school employers and colleges to access limited information about an individual’s certification and fingerprint information, as well as the TEACH system online services.
You may request to add TEACH access for staff in your school by completing the Designation of Authorized Representatives for TEACH Online Services System form. If you are a non public school you must also complete the OSPRA 106 form. To obtain the forms, go to TEACH Resources and print the forms. Please complete and mail the forms as instructed. These requests take 3-4 weeks to process.
How do I know which certificates I hold?
If you hold a New York State certificate, it will appear in your electronic record. If you hold certification from another state, please mail a copy of the certificate to the Office of Teaching Initiatives, 89 Washington Ave, EB RM5N, Albany NY 12234.
- After choosing the approved teacher preparation pathway, why do I get an error stating that my education does not support the certificate I'm applying for?
- I am applying for certification. Why aren't all of the requirements checked off in the pathway section?
- I have applied for a PreK-12 certificate and took and passed the ATSW exam. Why isn't this requirement checked off?
- May I apply for certification even though my fingerprints have not cleared?
- How does my application get sent to the BOCES if I apply online?
- How do I apply for reciprocity in New York State?
choosing the approved teacher preparation pathway, why do
I get an error stating that my education does not support
the certificate I'm applying for?
Please contact your institution's certification office/advisor to confirm that you have entered in the correct program code and that you have selected the correct certificate title and type.
am applying for certification. Why aren't all the requirements
checked off in the pathway section?
The pathway section of the online application shows check marks by the requirements you have met. Some requirements, such as experience or college recommendation, may not be checked off. This is because a certification specialist must review your experience and manually check off that requirement. The college recommendation requirement will not be checked off until your institution has entered its recommendation. You may still complete the application process, even if all of the requirements are not yet checked off.
have applied for a PreK-12 certificate and took and passed
the ATSW exam. Why isn't this requirement checked off?
If you have applied for a PreK-12 certificate, the ATSW testing requirement may be met by passing either the elementary or secondary ATSW. If you have taken and passed either of these tests and this requirement is not checked off, please send an email to TCERT@mail.nysed.gov stating the above. A certification specialist will verify and credit that requirement. You may still complete the application process, even if all of the requirements are not yet checked off.
I apply for certification even though my fingerprints have
Yes. Once your fingerprints are cleared, TEACH automatically updates your record to show that this requirement has been met.
does my application get sent to the BOCES if I apply online?
In the application process, you are asked to choose whether to have NYSED or a BOCES review your application. If you choose BOCES, you are then prompted to select the appropriate BOCES. By doing this, your application is sent electronically to the BOCES you selected, and they are responsible for doing the initial evaluation for you. In addition, you must also send your transcripts and any other supporting documentation to that BOCES.
- How do
I apply for a certificate if I am from another State?
Please review our "Applicants from other States (Interstate Reciprocity)?" web page, then click on the TEACH System icon at the bottom of that page to self-register and apply online for certification.
How do I delete an Education or Employment entry I added to my TEACH Profile in error?
At this time, the TEACH system does not allow for the deletion of any education or employment data once added to the TEACH system. If you enter education or employment information incorrectly, you should edit the entry to make it correct. Please do not make a duplicate entry to correct an error. However, if you have a duplicate entry already, please edit the incorrect entry so that it matches the correct entry.
How do I edit personal, education, or employment information in my TEACH account without applying for a certificate online?
To edit your personal, education, or employment information without applying for a certificate online, go to and login to your TEACH account. On the TEACH Home page click the link called "Verify/Update Profile" and make whatever changes to your profile you need to make.
- I selected "Approved New York Teacher
Certification Programs". Why isn't my institution
in the drop-down list?
If you completed a teacher preparation program at a New York State college or university that is recommending you for certification, and the institution does not appear in the drop-down list, please Report the Problem to us.
- I selected "All Other Programs and Coursework".
Why isn't my institution in the drop-down list?
To enter information on coursework or programs that do not result in a recommendation for certification, please follow the steps below:
- Once logged in to your TEACH account, go to Verify/Update Profile on the TEACH home page.
- Click Edit/Add Education Info.
- If you have not added the education go to the top of the page and choose the radio button for "All Other Programs and Coursework." Add your education here.
- If you have added an institution incorrectly, click the radio button next to entry you want to edit, and then click edit. Go to the top of the page and choose the radio button for "All Other Programs and Coursework." Add your education here.
You should now be able to find your institution in the drop-down box. If the institution does not appear in the drop-down list, please Report the Problem to us.
- When entering employment experience, can I submit
volunteer school experience or non-school paid experience?
No, you should report only paid school experience.
- I received an error message that my SSN or Name or Date of Birth do not match. What do I do next?
- When trying to access TEACH, I entered my Social Security Number and received an error message stating my SSN is already being used by another user. Why?
- I have forgotten my user name and password for TEACH System. How can I access my account?
- I need to apply for certification and fingerprinting; can you send me a username and password?
I received an error message that my SSN or Name or Date of Birth
do not match. What do I do next?
Login and before clicking the TEACH System button, please click the "Update My Account" button. Verify that the information is correctly entered. If not, correct it.
- If you have previously taken a New York State Teacher Certification Exam and have not submitted any other information to our office, please enter your name exactly as you entered it when registering for the test. (You may update your account to reflect a name change later if necessary.)
- If you have previously submitted a certification application or have an issued certificate, edit your name to match the name on your previous application or issued certificate. (You may update your account to reflect a name change later if necessary.)
- If you have entered your married name, but have not previously notified the Office of Teaching Initiatives of this change, update your last name to your maiden name, so that it will match your existing record. (You may update your account to reflect a name change later.)
- When you have made these changes to your account click
the "TEACH System" button. After entering your
Social Security Number, if you get the same message, please
the Problem to us.
trying to access TEACH, I entered my Social Security Number
and received an error message stating my SSN is already being
used by another user. Why?
Please Report the Problem to have your correct account reset and the other accounts removed.
have forgotten my user name and password for TEACH System.
How can I access my account?
Forgot USERNAME go to https://my.ny.gov/FPSV3/fps.xhtml
NOTE: When entering your email address, use the email address you used when you created your TEACH login account. If the email address that you established your NYSDS account with is no longer your email address, you will be able to change this when you log into your NYSDS account.
Forgot PASSWORD go tohttps://my.ny.gov/FUIDV3/fuid.xhtml
need to apply for certification and fingerprinting. Can you
send me a username and password?
To obtain a username and password to apply online, you must self register to create a TEACH account.
- Why can't I see my evaluation in TEACH?
- Why is my TEACH record incomplete?
- I submitted a paper application. Why isn't it showing up in my TEACH account?
can't I see my evaluation in TEACH?
If you submitted an application for certification and received an evaluation from the Office of Teaching Initiatives which is dated before March 14, 2006, your TEACH records will not include this evaluation history, correspondence, or a complete TEACH personal profile. Only the data that was originally maintained in an electronic format on the old mainframe database was converted into TEACH. Generally, this information includes only portions of your personal profile (name, date of birth, Social Security Number), examination scores, fingerprint clearances, and workshops completed.
- Why is my TEACH record incomplete?
If you received a certificate or other credential from the Office of Teaching Initiatives prior to March 14, 2006, your TEACH records will not contain a complete record of your submitted documents or transactions. Instead, you will only see the portions of your personal profile (name, social security number) and your certification history that were originally maintained in the old mainframe database.
submitted a paper application. Why isn't it showing up in
my TEACH account?
TEACH is designed for online applications. The Office of Teaching Initiatives must manually enter each paper application that is received. Therefore, it takes longer for this information to become available on TEACH.
How do I pay for an application I submitted online?
To make payment for an existing application:
- Click "Login to TEACH"
- Click "TEACH System"
- On your TEACH Home page
- Under Payment Links (sixth bullet down), click "Pay for Certificate or Fingerprinting Application ."
Please Note: Online application through the TEACH system increases the efficiency of the application review process. However, if you have recently submitted a paper application and can't find it on the TEACH System, we ask or your patience until we are able to do some preliminary processing of your file. Paper applications require additional work by Office of Teaching Initiatives staff. Once the paper application is processed and we have added basic information to your file, the application will be recorded in TEACH.
How do I check on the status of an application I submitted online?
In order to check the status of your application, you must have a TEACH account. If you do not have a TEACH account, you must self-register to establish one. If you already have a TEACH account, login and on your TEACH homepage click on the Account Information link. Click the "Certificates" topic within the selection box, and then click "Go". In the certificates application table you will see the status of your application(s). Each status is explained below.
- Not Ready for Review: Payment has not been made or your transcripts have not been received. For graduates of approved teacher education programs, if the college recommendation has not been received, the application would also "not be ready for review." NOTE: For teaching Assistant applications, the "High School Diploma/GED" requirement will be credited when the the application is being reviewed.
- Ready for Review - No Evaluation History Link: Your application is waiting to be reviewed by a certification specialist.
for Review -Yes Evaluation History Link: Your application has
been evaluated. Click on the Evaluation History link to view the
evaluation. There are a number of processes that create
an evaluation history, they are listed below:
Receipt of Fee and/or Official Transcript
Receipt of Exam Result(s)
Receipt of Workshop(s)
Receipt of Fingerprint Clearance
Change of Certificate Title, Type, and/or Pathway
- Review Complete - Pending Information: Your
application has been reviewed by a certification specialist. You will
receive a letter (Notice of Incomplete Requirements) confirming the
outstanding requirement(s). Once you have completed ALL outstanding
requirements, you must submit documentation verifying that you have
done so. You may also click on the Evaluation History link to view the
evaluation and the outstanding requirements.
- Evaluation Complete - Pending Final Review: All academic requirements have been met. TEACH conducts a final review to be sure that there are no outstanding issues, such as a name/SSN change request on file or a hold or other restriction preventing issuance of a certificate. If there are no outstanding issues, the certificate will print overnight and be mailed. Once printed, the certificate status will change to ISSUED. You should receive your certificate in the mail within 2-3 weeks.
Why aren't my test scores showing up in my TEACH account?
Check the SSN and spelling of your name on your score report to confirm that it is the same as in your TEACH account. If the SSN or the spelling of your name on the score report is incorrect, contact our Testing Administrators, Evaluation Systems Group Pearson at http://www.nystce.nesinc.com .