Applicants from Other States
The options below are only for out-of-state applicants interested in the following certification areas:
- Classroom Teacher
NOTE: Pupil Personnel Services titles (School Counseling, School Psychologist, School Social Worker, etc.) are not available through interstate reciprocity. Out-of-state applicants interested in those titles must apply through the "Individual Evaluation" pathway.
The Initial Certificate is the entry-level certificate for classroom teachers (issued in specific subject/grade titles) and the entry-level certificate for the School Building Leader (SBL).
Select an option from the column that best describes you
Specific Information Regarding (Click to see information):
- Applicants who possess a special education certificate in Another State
New York State issues the following special education certificate titles:
- Students with Disabilities (Birth – Grade 2)
- Students with Disabilities (Grades 1- 6)
- Students with Disabilities (Grades 7-12) - Generalist
- An applicant who holds a K-12 Special Education certificate in another state may be eligible for Students with Disabilities certificates at multiple grade levels if their program, or experience, satisfies the requirements for certification through reciprocity.
- New York State issues the following special education certificate titles:
- Speech and Language Disabilities Classroom Teaching Certificate
- Although clinical programs (CAA or ASHA) may lead to teacher certification in another State, New York will only accept the completion of a teacher certification program that includes pedagogical coursework and a school-based practicum. For applicants who apply through the “Endorsement of Certificate” path, experience will only be accepted if completed under a “comparable” teaching certificate from another single U.S. State or Territory.
- Foreign Applicants (Applicants from Other Countries)
- New York no longer offers International Reciprocity. Please refer to: Individual Evaluation of Non-U.S. Credentials
- Certificate Endorsements / Add-on Certificates
- In many cases, endorsements / add-on certificates from other states do not satisfy the requirements for reciprocity in New York. Eligibility for certification through reciprocity cannot be determined until this office has a chance to review your credentials. To receive a review, you must apply for certification through TEACH online.
- Pupil Personnel Certification (School Social Worker, School Psychologist, School Counselor, School Nursing, School Dental Hygiene, School Attendance Teacher)
- Pupil Personnel Titles are not reviewed through reciprocity. Please select the “Individual Evaluation” pathway when applying for certification.
- To apply online, click
- Upon completion of your application, apply for fingerprinting using your TEACH account.
- For information about the fingerprint process, go to Fingerprinting .
Office of Teaching Initiatives
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Ave, 5N EB
Albany, New York 12234
1. Program must be similar to a New York State-registered teacher preparation program completed at a New York State College/University. Comparability based on Official Compilation of Closed, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York (8 CRR-NY 52.21).↩
2. Certificate must be active in the state of issuance.↩
3. A “regular” certificate, in an equivalent subject area and similar grade-level, that has no limits/restriction. A list of acceptable-level certificates can be found at: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/levelcert.html↩