Evaluation of Foreign Credentials

Applicants who completed their education outside of the United States must have a foreign credential report submitted directly by an acceptable organization. We cannot accept a credential report submitted directly by the applicant.

A foreign credential report is only one of several requirements for certification. Applicants can review all of the steps involved in the certification process at our webpage entitled Certification from Start to Finish.

Please note that the Office of Teaching Initiatives does not process salary differential requests or other requests to review foreign credentials for purposes other than certification. In addition, the office does not return submitted foreign credentials or credential evaluation reports.

Steps to submit foreign credentials for certification

  1. Create a TEACH account. During the creation of an account, you will be asked to provide a U.S. federal Social Security Number. If you do not have a Social Security Number, you can either:

    • Use our contact form to request a “TEACH Access Number”. You will need to select the Administrative form and attach a PDF-formatted copy of either a valid passport or a valid visa.
    • If you are enrolled in a New York State registered educator preparation program, ask the Certification Officer to email our staff at tcert@nysed.gov. They should use the subject line “TEACH Access Number” and include your first and last name, date of birth, and email address. Once your TEACH Access Number has been created, our staff will inform you via email. Please make sure to add tcert@nysed.gov to your email contacts, so our email does not end up getting blocked or in your junk folder.

    United States citizenship or legal immigration status is required for Permanent and Professional Certification only.

  2. Research the requirements. You can find information about the available certificate titles, requirements and pathways at Search Certification Requirements.

  3. Apply for the certificate and pay the application fee. After you are familiar with the requirements, you can apply for the certificate through your TEACH account and pay the application fee.

  4. Have your foreign credential report submitted directly by an acceptable organization. The credential evaluation report must include the following information:

    • Identifying information. The report must contain your full name as it appears in your TEACH account and your date of birth or last four digits of your Social Security Number.

    • Equivalency Report. The report must include the following items:
      • name of the institution(s) attended
      • program length of study
      • dates of attendance for each year at each institution
      • degree(s) and/or diploma(s) awarded - with full date of graduation (month, day, and year)
      • listing of each course title
      • semester hour equivalency
      • individual grade conversion into U.S. grading scheme (A-F)
      • Grade Point Average (GPA)
      • placement recommendation

Note for Teaching Assistant applicants: Your credential report must include all of the information detailed above pertaining to your high school diploma.

The organization should send the credential evaluation report in PDF format by email to tcert@nysed.gov, or by mail to:

New York State Education Department
Office of Teaching Initiatives
89 Washington Ave, RM 5N EB
Albany, 12234

Last Updated: March 28, 2024