Educator Resources

Employment Authorizations

Incidental Teaching
A superintendent of schools, with the permission of the Commissioner of Education, may assign a certified teacher to teach a subject not covered by the teacher's license or certificate, for a period not to exceed five classroom hours per week, when no certified teacher is available. For details of the requirement, click on Commissioner's Regulations 80-5.3external-link.

The Commissioner of Education has delegated the approval of incidental teaching to the Boards of Cooperative Education (BOCES). School Districts should contact their local BOCES for information on requesting approval.

Permit authorizing service in an area for which no certificate exists
At the request of a superintendent of schools, a permit may be issued enabling a school district to employ a qualified person for a position for which no certificate title exists, e.g., teacher of Native American language and/or culture, teacher of Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps, etc. This credential is initially valid for two years, and renewable for five-year periods. Click Indicates you can Apply Online to Enter Superintendent Statements Online!

Retired Public Employee
A superintendent of schools, or in the case of a superintendency a district superintendent, may submit an Application for Temporary Employment of a Retiree to request approval for a certified retiree to exceed the amount of earnings permitted under sections 212 of Retirement and Social Security Law when no qualified non-retired person is available. For details go to Employment of a Retiree.

Substitute Teacher
Substitutes employed for long-term absences are expected to hold or be working toward certification in the specific field or area in which they are substituting. For details of the requirement, go to Commissioner' Regulations 80-5.4external-link. For more infomration go to Substitute Teaching .

Teacher Aide
A school district may employ an individual as a teacher aide to assist teachers in such non-teaching duties as managing records, materials, and equipment; attending to the physical needs of children; and supervising students. For details of the requirement, click on  Commissioner's Regulations 80-5.6external-link.!

 Visiting Lecturer
At the request of a superintendent of schools, a visiting lecturer license may be issued to an individual who has unusual qualifications in a specific subject to supplement the regular program of instruction. The license is valid for one year.  Click Indicates you can Apply Online to Enter Superintendent Statement Online!

Last Updated: July 23, 2018