Citizenship or USCIS Permanent Residency

United States Citizenship or USCIS Permanent Residency is required for Permanent or Professional Certification

New York Education Law now permits individuals with United States Citizenship or Permanent Resident status,  to qualify for a Permanent or Professional NYS Teaching Certificate. To verify your Permanent Residence status, submit ONE of the following with your application:

  • A photocopy of your Permanent Resident Card ("Green Card") showing the front and back of the card; or
  • A photocopy of your United States Passport; or
  • A certified and sealed copy of a letter from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) verifying your Permanent Residence or United States Citizenship.
Last Updated: November 29, 2011