edTPA Safety Net
The edTPA safety net allows a candidate who applies for and meets all2 certification requirements for the initial certificate on, or before, June 30, 2018, except he/she took and did not receive a passing score3 on the required edTPA or before June 30, 2018, or until the date a new passing score on the edTPA is approved by the Commissioner, whichever is earlier, to either:
- use a passing score on an ATS-W taken on, or before, April 30, 2014 (before the new certification examination requirements became effective), or
- use a passing score on an ATS-W taken on, or before, June 30, 2018 or until the date a new passing score on the edTPA is approved by the Commissioner, whichever is earlier, and after receipt of a failing numeric score on the edTPA or an “Incomplete”(I) with a numeric score on one or more task totals. Please note: you must receive the failing edTPA score prior to taking the ATS-W.
This safety net also applies to:
- Transitional B program candidates pursuing their initial certificate, and
- Transitional C certificate holders (career changes and others holding a graduate academic or graduate professional degree) who apply for and meet all requirements for a professional certificate, except the candidate does not receive a passing score on the edTPA.
The Department has a limited number of vouchers that will enable a candidate, who received a failing numeric score or an “Incomplete” with a numeric score on one or more task totals on the edTPA, to register for the ATS-W at no charge.
To apply for an ATS-W voucher, you must send an email to email@example.com with the following:
- Your name as it appears on your TEACH account,
- The last five digits of your Social Security Number,
- Your date of birth, and
- Your current email address with a short statement requesting an exam voucher.
If a candidate has met all requirements for certification on, or before, June 30, 2018, except the use of one or more of the safety nets, and the certificate has not issued, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the candidates first and last name, the last four digits of the social security number and the date of birth, and request that the safety net(s) be applied. We will then review the candidate’s application.
If necessary, candidates may take advantage of multiple safety nets, as available, in order to meet the requirements for certification provided all other certification requirements are completed by the date in the Safety Net Deadline Chart.
2.This includes application and fee, education, examinations, workshops, fingerprints and any other certification requirements for the certificate.
3..The edTPA must receive a failing numeric score or an “Incomplete” with a numeric score on one or more task totals on the edTPA. An unscorable edTPA is not considered to meet this requirement.