edTPA Safety Net
At its April 2016 meeting, the Board of Regents, by emergency regulation, extended the safety nets for the Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST), Educating All Students test (EAS), edTPA, certain redeveloped Content Specialty Tests (CSTs) and the new Multi-Subject: Secondary Teachers Grade 7 - Grade 12 Content Specialty Test. Read the April 2016 Regent Items .
Information regarding the creation of the edTPA safety net, which was initially approved by the Board of Regents at its April 2014 meeting and subsequently revised at its April 2015 meeting and then revised again at the May 2015 meeting, allows a candidate who did not receive a passing score on the required1 edTPA to use a passing score on the ATS-W in lieu of a passing score on the required edTPA. Read the April 2014 Regents Item and the May 2015 Regent Item.
Pursuant to the regulations, a candidate who applies for and meets all2 certification requirements for the initial certificate on or before June 30, 2018, except he/she took and did not receive a passing score3 on the required edTPA prior to June 30, 2017, may either:
- use a passing score on an ATS-W taken on or before April 30, 2014 (before the new certification examination requirements became effective), or
- use a passing score on an ATS-W taken prior to June 30, 2017 and after receipt of a failing numeric score on the edTPA or an “Incomplete”(I) with a numeric score on one or more task totals.
This safety net also applies to:
- Transitional B program candidates pursuing their initial certificate, and
- Transitional C certificate holders (career changes and others holding a graduate academic or graduate professional degree) who apply for and meet all requirements for a professional certificate, except the candidate does not receive a passing score on the edTPA.
The Department has a limited number of vouchers that will enable a candidate, who received a failing numeric score or an “Incomplete” with a numeric score on one or more task totals on the edTPA, to register for the ATS-W at no charge.
To apply for an ATS-W voucher, you must send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- Your name as it appears on your TEACH account,
- The last five digits of your Social Security Number,
- Your date of birth, and
- Your current email address with a short statement requesting an exam voucher.
The safety nets will be effective through June 30, 2017. If necessary, candidates may take advantage of multiple safety nets in order to meet the requirements for certification and will have until June 30, 2018, one year later, to meet all other certification requirements.
If a candidate has met all requirements for certification by June 30, 2018 except the use of one or more of the safety nets and the certificate has not issued, send an email to email@example.com, with the candidates first and last name, the last four digits of the social security number and the date of birth and request that the safety net(s) be applied. We will then review the candidate’s application.
2.This includes application and fee, education, examinations, workshops, fingerprints and any other certification requirements for the certificate.
3.The edTPA must receive a failing numeric score or an “Incomplete” with a numeric score on one or more task totals on the edTPA. An unscorable edTPA is not considered to meet this requirement.