Educator Resources

How to Apply for the 211 Retirement Waiver

The section 211 waiver request has two parts:

  1. the retiree submits a Retirement waiver request online through the TEACH system and
  2. the District, BOCES or VEEB requesting the waiver submits a retirement waiver statement in TEACH.
It is important to note that even if the District, BOCES or VEEB has submitted their superintendent statement, NYSED cannot process the request until the retiree submits their application online through the TEACH system.

Apply for the retirement waiver through TEACH Online Service

To apply for a section 211 waiver, a retiree must have a current, active account on NYSED’s TEACH system.


If you believe that at one time you may have created a TEACH account or if you encounter issues with accessing the TEACH system or creating a TEACH account, contact the Office of Teaching Initiatives by sending an email to or calling 518-474-3901 and selecting option #3. 


If you do not have an account with the TEACH System, you will need to create an account with TEACH to apply for a waiver.

To create a TEACH account, do the following:

To apply for the waiver in TEACH, do the following:

    1. Access your TEACH account through the Office of Teaching Initiatives website located at

    2. From the Office of Teaching Initiatives home page, click on the “TEACH Online Services" image.

    3. Click on the red "Log in to TEACH" button.

    4. Enter your user name and password and click the “Sign in” button.

    5. Click on the “TEACH Online Service” link.

    6. From your TEACH Home Page under “Retiree Links,” click on the link that says, “Apply for a Retirement Waiver.”

    7. Follow the instructions and submit the online application.

 After you have Applied for the Waiver

Section 211 waiver applications cannot be processed until the District, BOCES or VEEB requesting the waiver submits the supporting statement and the required supporting documentation.

It is the District’s, BOCES’ or VEEB’s responsibility to provide all necessary documentation to process the waiver request.  In the case of an incomplete application, NYSED may reach out to you for any additional information deemed necessary to process your application for a waiver. It is important to make sure your TEACH account has valid, current information.

Last Updated: October 21, 2019