Memos to the Field
|THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT / THE UNIVERSITY OF THE NEW YORK / ALBANY, NY 12234
Office of Teaching Initiatives
Teacher Education Contacts at Colleges with Registered Teacher Education Programs; Regional Certification Officers; New York State United Teachers; National Education Association; United Federation of Teachers
|From:||Office of Teaching Initiatives|
|Subject:||Statement of Continued Eligibility for individuals currently teaching subjects or classes using American Sign Language (ASL) as the medium of instruction; subjects or classes within A Gifted and Talented Program; or Theater|
New Regulations effective February 2, 2004 governing the certification of teachers create several new certificate titles. As of that date, individuals teaching subjects or classes in new certificate areas will need to hold valid certificates in those areas or hold a Statement of Continued Eligibility (SOCE).
Individuals currently teaching subjects or classes using American Sign Language as the instructional medium or subjects or classes within a Gifted and Talented program (certificate titles which are new in 2004) may apply for a SOCE to enable them to continue to legally teach in their respective area. For New York State certification purposes, a SOCE will be the equivalent of a Permanent certificate in the new title to be instituted in 2004. In addition to permitting the holder to continue to legally teach in that area, the SOCE will be transferable from one New York State school district to another.
The Regents will be considering a technical amendment to implement a SOCE for individuals currently teaching Theater within the next few months. For information on the progress of this proposal, please refer periodically to the Office of Teaching Initiatives Web site at www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert .
- Employment in a public school position in New York State as a teacher within the affected certificate title for three of the five years immediately preceding February 2, 2004.
- Possession of a Permanent New York State classroom teacher certificate in any title during the three years of claimed experience.
- Teachers using American Sign Language as the medium of instruction, or teachers of Gifted/Talented classes should obtain an Application for Certification from the school district. Go to Forms and Applications to obtain this application.
- The applicant must complete the application in full. On p.1, item #8, enter the appropriate 4-digit code and title of the SOCE requested as follows:
9170 SOCE – Gifted and Talented
7100 SOCE – American Sign Language
- Enclose a copy of the resolution of the local board(s) of education appointing the applicant to the qualifying position.
- Enclose a letter on school district letterhead from the employing superintendent stating that the individual has taught in the respective area for the specified amount of time. Dates of employment must be included.
- Mail the completed application, the copy of the school board's resolution, the letter from the school superintendent, and a Postal Money order for $100 payable to The New York State Education Department to:
The New York State Education Department
Office of Teaching Initiatives
P.O. Box 22064
Albany, NY 12201
Commissioner's Regulations require such applications to be filed on or before February 1, 2004. SOCE's will be effective September 1, 2004.
If you have any questions regarding the Statement of Continued Eligibility, please call (518) 474-4661.
Disclaimer: The information on this page is current as of the date of the memo and may be superceded by newer information.