Applicants from Other States


The Office of Teaching Initiatives can not determine eligibility for certification until an application has been submitted, and a review of your credentials has been completed.

New York State does not pre-approve teacher preparation programs completed in other U.S. States or Territories.


Select the statement that best describes you:

Specific Information Regarding (Click to see information):

  • Applicants who Possess a Special Education Certificate in Another State
    • New York State issues the following special education certificate titles:
      1. Students with Disabilities (Birth – Grade 2)
      2. Students with Disabilities (Grades 1- 6)
      3. Students with Disabilities (Grades 7-12) - Generalist
    • An applicant who holds a K-12 Special Education certificate in another state may be eligible for Students with Disabilities certificates at multiple grade levels if their program, or experience, satisfies the requirements for certification through reciprocity.
  • Applicants who Possess a Science Certificate in Another State
    • New York State issues Science certificates in the field of Biology, Chemistry, Earth Science, and Physics. A general"Science" certificate in another U.S. State or Territory that authorizes an individual to work in any field of science is not considered "comparable" to a New York State Biology, Physics, Chemistry, and/or Earth Science Certificate.
  • Speech and Language Disabilities Classroom Teaching Certificate
    • Although clinical programs (CAA or ASHA) may lead to teacher certification in another State, New York will only accept the completion of a teacher certification program that includes pedagogical coursework and a school-based practicum. For applicants who apply through the “Endorsement of Certificate” path, experience will only be accepted if completed under a “comparable” teaching certificate from another single U.S. State or Territory.
  • Foreign Applicants (Applicants from Other Countries)
  • Certificate Endorsements / Add-on Certificates
    • In many cases, endorsements / add-on certificates from other states do not satisfy the requirements for reciprocity in New York. Eligibility for certification through reciprocity cannot be determined until this office has a chance to review your credentials. To receive a review, you must apply for certification through TEACH online.
  • Pupil Personnel Certification (School Social Worker, School Psychologist, School Counselor, School Nursing, School Dental Hygiene, School Attendance Teacher)
    • Pupil Personnel Titles are not reviewed through reciprocity. Please select the “Individual Evaluation” pathway when applying for certification.
How to Apply
  1. To apply online, click Teach Online Services

  2. Upon completion of your application, apply for fingerprinting using your TEACH account.
    • For information about the fingerprint process, go to Fingerprinting .

  3. Official Transcripts: Contact the registrar's office of each college/university you attended and ask that they submit official transcripts to this office. How to Submit Documents

  4. If applicable, mail copies of your out-of-state certificates (including those that have expired) to tcert@nysed.gov. Please include your full name and birth date with your e-mail.

Office of Teaching Initiatives
New York State Education Department
89 Washington Ave, 5N EB
Albany, New York 12234

1. Program must be similar to a New York State-registered teacher preparation program completed at a New York State College/University. Comparability based on Official Compilation of Closed, Rules and Regulations of the State of New York (8 CRR-NY 52.21External Web Site).
2. Certificate must be active in the state of issuance.
3. A “regular” certificate, in an equivalent subject area and similar grade-level, that has no limits/restriction, list of acceptable-level certificates.
Last Updated: September 25, 2019