Teacher of the Year
“The Teacher of the Year is a district and building leader.”
March 28 Deadline:
Nominate an educator for the 2015 New York State Teacher of the Year!
New York State (NYS) wishes to recognize and celebrate an exceptionally skilled and passionate educator to be an ambassador for NYS teachers and to serve as the NYS nominee for the National Teacher of the Year Program.
The New York State Teachers of the Year and/or their schools are supported by New York State United Teachers (NYSUT), New York State Congress of Parents and Teachers, Inc. (NYS PTA), New York State Association for Supervision & Curriculum Development (NYSASCD), the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO), ING Financial Services, the SMART Technologies, and Educational Testing Service (ETS).
The New York State Teacher of the Year Program, now in its 45th year, is administered by the New York State Education Department. It is affiliated with the National Teacher of the Year program administered through the Council of Chief State School Officers and sponsored by leading education associations. Teacher of the Year is the oldest and most prestigious teacher recognition activity in the nation.
*Apply now! Teacher of the Year Nomination Packet
A teacher may be initially recommended for nomination by any person within the school or community including parents, students, business leaders, school administrators, or colleagues. The formal nomination should involve a collaborative decision-making process indicating the support of all the groups concerned with the quality of teaching within a school. A complete application including letters of support is submitted for each nominee. Support from the school community may include approximately 30 days of release time to fulfill the obligations of the Teacher of the Year.
Teacher of the Year 2013
Teacher of the Year 2012
Teacher of the Year 2011
New York State recognizes and celebrates the exceptionally skilled and passionate educators who exist in every school in the State. The purpose of the New York State Teacher of the Year program is to:
- Support the development of programs throughout the State that recognize great teachers in their schools;
- Engage exemplary teachers in professional development by completing the the New York State Teacher of the Year application; and
- Identify and celebrate one teacher per year as the New York State Teacher of the Year who will represent all of New York State teachers at events throughout the State and at national events with Teachers of the Year from across the United States.
Who is a Teacher of the Year?
A Teacher of the Year is a skilled professional who has demonstrated excellence in the classroom and in the community. This teacher is respected by colleagues and all stakeholders in education.
At all levels, the Teacher of the Year is also the face and voice of exemplary educators. As a representative of the profession, this leader is asked to engage and inspire other teachers and community leaders.
At the state level, the New York State Teacher of the Year represents excellence and speaks for 220,000 New York State public school teachers by engaging in presentations, attending meetings, and participating in professional development at local, state and national levels.
While all of these qualifications are considered, the most important one is the superior ability to inspire learning in students of all backgrounds and competencies.
Meet the Teachers of the Year!
Click on the year and the teacher with the district will appear.
*Note: This map works best in Google Chrome browser or the newest version of Internet Explorer.
Press Releases For Teacher of the Year
- 2014 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2013 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2012 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2011 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2010 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
See New York State Teachers of the Year in action by visiting the links below!
- Ashli Skura- Dreher, 2014
- Greg Ahlquist, 2013
- Katie Ferguson, 2012
- Jeff Peneston, 2011
- Debra Calvino, 2010
Responsibilities and Program Benefits
The individuals selected to serve as State Teachers of the Year will be the ambassadors for the teaching profession across New York State and will lead by their passion for teaching.
The New York State Teacher of the Year is provided with numerous professional development opportunities. In addition, schools and districts may also experience several of the other benefits of the Teacher of the Year Program, such as:
- day of honor and learning for the New York State Teacher of the Year;
- information and technical support for principals about how to prepare and support excellent teachers;
- visit by the Commissioner of Education in the classroom and school of the New York State Teacher of the Year;
- coaching for other teachers on instructional approaches;
- every student, teacher, and parent in every school in the State will know that their school has exemplary teachers who are recognized for their craft; and
- meet the President of the United States.
National Teacher of the Year
The New York State Teacher of the Year becomes New York's entrant in the National Teacher of the Year Program. Visit http://www.ccsso.org/ntoy.html for more information.
For further information, contact:
THE NEW YORK STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Office of Higher Education
89 Washington Ave. 975 EB
Albany, New York 12234