Teacher of the Year
New York State Teacher of the Year Program is Seeking Nominations for 2014 Teacher of the Year
New York State wishes to recognize and celebrate an exceptionally skilled and passionate educator to be an ambassador for NYS teachers and the NYS nominee for the National Teacher of the Year.
The Deputy Commissioner of the Office of Higher Education, John D’Agati invites you to nominate this exceptionally skilled and passionate educator for the 2014 New York State Teacher of the Year. This program, now in its 44rd year, is affiliated with the National Teacher of the Year program administered through the Council of Chief State School Officers and sponsored by leading education associations.
The nominee must:
- be an exceptionally skilled and dedicated teacher
- be appropriately credentialed within his or her current teaching area
- work directly with children in a State-approved public, private, or institutional school at any grade level or in any subject area from pre-kindergarten through grade 12.
- plan to continue to be a teacher
- have a minimum of five years of current teaching experience
- demonstrate leadership through active roles in the school and community
- be poised and articulate, with the energy and equanimity to manage a busy schedule
While all of these qualifications are considered, the most important one is the superior ability to inspire learning in students of all backgrounds and competencies.
Further information and nominations materials are located below.
Nominations are due by March 29, 2013.
- 2013 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2012 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2011 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2010 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2009 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release
- 2008 NYS Teacher of the Year Press Release (28KB)
To recognize and celebrate outstanding teachers throughout New York State. It is run in conjunction with the National Teacher of the Year program.
Any exceptionally skilled and dedicated teacher, appropriately credentialed within his or her current teaching area, who works directly with children in a State-approved public or private school in any grade from pre-kindergarten through grade twelve who has a minimum of five years teaching experience is eligible.
A teacher may be initially recommended for nomination by any person within the school or community including parents, students, business leaders, school administrators, or colleagues. The formal nomination should involve a collaborative decision-making process indicating the support of all the groups concerned with the quality of teaching within a school. A complete portfolio including letters of support is submitted for each nominee. Support from the school community may include several days of release time to fulfill the obligations of the Teacher of the Year.
The generous support from the following groups allows this program to operate: SMARTer Kids Foundation, ING Financial Services Inc., CCSSO, NYSUT, NYS PTA, and ASCD of New York.
National Teacher of the Year
For further information contact:
THE STATE EDUCATION DEPARTMENT
Office of Teaching Initiatives
89 Washington Ave. – 5N
Albany, New York 12234