Albert Shanker Grant Program
Please read this in its entirety
as we have updated the information as of 08/06/2015.
The Albert Shanker grant was established to defray the costs of National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS)* certification to eligible New York State public school teachers. The New York State Education Department through the Albert Shanker Grant makes funding available to support eligible New York State public school teachers seeking their first National Board Certification.
National Board Certification is composed of four components. All components must be attempted within a three year period. For information regarding National Board Certification go to http://www.nbpts.org/policies-and-resources.
Candidates for the Albert Shanker Grant must:
- First complete the 2015-2016 National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) Certification Registration online at https://nbcmsprod.perfrms.com/
Note: During the NBPTS registration process, under the "Agreements" tab (Step 4), you must elect to have your name released to third-party agencies that may provide incentives;
- Pay the annual NBPTS registration fee and register and pay for their first component.
If a candidate is found eligible for and awarded the Albert Shanker Grant, the New York State Education Department will fund the cost of the remaining three components to National Board. After a candidate completes the National Board process, the candidate will be reimbursed for the cost of their first component provided that the candidate did not receive any form of reimbursement for their first component from any source.
Eligibility for the Albert Shanker Grant
To be eligible for the Albert Shanker Grant, candidates MUST:
- be employed as a full-time teacher in a NYS public school;
- hold a valid New York State teaching certificate;
- hold tenure in his/her current position;
- commit to and actually complete the entirety of the initial NBPTS candidacy effort;
- and continue to be employed as a full-time teacher in a New York public school for at least one full school year following completion of the initial grant period;
- apply for NBPTS certification and pay for the first component;
- apply for the Albert Shanker Grant.
The New York State Education Department is accepting applications for the 2015-2016 Albert Shanker Grant program and will continue to accept applications through January 31, 2016 or until all funds are exhausted, whichever is first.
Candidates may apply for the Albert Shanker Grant by completing and submitting the online 2015-2016 Application for NYS Albert Shanker Grant Program Application.
After submitting an application, candidates must send verification that they have registered and paid for their first component with NBPTS to the Office of Teaching Initiatives. Please email verification to: email@example.com
Note: Funding is limited, and allocated on a first come, first served basis, to eligible candidates.
- If a candidate is found eligible for an award, they will be notified.
- If a candidate is awarded an Albert Shanker Grant and withdraws from NBPTS process, he/she will not be eligible for a subsequent grant.
Email all questions to firstname.lastname@example.org .
As of December 2014, more than 1,700 New York State Teachers have been awarded National Board Certification.
* National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, known simply as National Board, is an independent, nonprofit organization. It was formed in 1987 to advance the quality of teaching and learning by developing professional standards for accomplished teaching, creating a voluntary system to certify teachers who meet those standards and integrating Board-certified teachers into educational reform efforts.