April 30, 2014 Deadline
This deadline only applies to first-time Initial or Professional classroom teaching and School Building Leader applicants.
The deadline relates to completion of certification requirements by this date, which includes submission of an application in TEACH and paying the required fee for the certificate(s).
Certificate(s) do not have to be issued by this date.
Transitional B to Initial
Current Transitional B certificate holders may use the old set of exams ( LAST, ATSW and CST(s)) if, prior to May 1, 2014, they:
- Apply for the Initial certificate in the same title at the same grade level as the Transitional B certificate
- Pay the required fee
- Meet all requirements for the Initial certificate except completion of the Transitional B Program
The college is not required to enter a recommendation for the Initial certificate until the program is completed.
Transitional C to Professional
Current Transitional C certificate holders may use the old set of exams ( LAST, ATSW and CST(s)) if, prior to May 1, 2014, they:
- Apply for the Professional certificate in the same title at the same grade level as the Transitional C certificate
- Pay the required fee
- Meet all requirements for the Professional certificate except completion of the Transitional C Program
The college is not required to enter a recommendation for the Professional certificate until the program is completed.
All documents submitted by mail or facsimile take weeks to process. These include transcripts, workshop completion forms, and other documentation that support an application.
Those applying for an additional certificate, or progressing from their Initial certificate to their Professional certificate are not affected by this deadline.
- This office does not need to complete a review of the application by April 30, 2014. Applicants are only required to apply and pay for the certificates on, or before, April 30, 2014.
- The deadline does not apply to other applications.
For those affected by the deadline;
Documentation submitted after the deadline will be accepted as long as it shows the requirement was completed before the deadline.
- For Example: The “Dignity for All Students Act (DASA)” workshop was completed on April 29, 2014, but the completion form was not submitted to this office until May 15, 2014. That workshop will be accepted as completed before the deadline.
Please be advised that your application is only valid for two evaluations. You must submit all of your documentation at one time no later than October 1, 2014.
Successful completion of required exams by 4/30/2014. Scores may be submitted to SED after this date.
School Building Leader Assessment: Pass Status
Candidates for School Building Leader certification who have not passed both parts of the Original (2008) School Building Leader assessment (100/101) or both parts of the Revised (Sept. 2013) School Building Leader assessment (107/108) may now instead combine Pass status across the two assessments.
Candidates may now complete the School Building Leader assessment requirement by combining a Pass status on one part of the original (2008) assessment (i.e., either Part 1 or Part 2) with a Pass status on the other part of the revised (Sept. 2013) assessment. Candidates combining their Pass status across the two assessments must complete testing for both parts on or before June 30, 2014.
After June 30, 2014, all School Building Leader candidates will need to pass both parts of the Revised (Sept. 2013) School Building Leader Assessment (107/108). Candidates may now schedule to take one or both parts of the Revised (Sept. 2013) School Building Leader Assessment (107/108).
You must have submitted your fingerprint application, fee and fingerprints by 4/30/2014. If submitting fingerprint cards, they must be postmarked prior to 5/1/2014.
NYS Approved Teacher Education Program Recommendation:
Recommendations must have a completion/graduation date prior to 5/1/2014.
Coursework must have been completed prior to 5/1/2014.