The frequently asked questions have been sorted by topic.  Please click the topic you are interested to view the frequently questions and answers that relate to that topic.

General Information

  1. What tests do I have to take to be certified as a teacher in New York State?

    Candidates for certification must achieve qualifying scores on the appropriate tests in the New York State Teacher Certification Examination (NYSTCE) Program, listed below.

    Exception: Candidates who are certified by the National Board for Professional Teaching Standards in a title which is the same as or comparable to a New York State title are exempt from the testing requirements.

    To see which tests are required for the specific certificate title and type you are interested click on the icon below:

    search for specific certification requirements

    For specific information about the tests go to http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/External LinkGo to top

  2. Can I obtain a testing accommodation for my disability?

    Yes. Special accommodations may be provided with appropriate documentation through NYSTCE.  Go to top

  3. I am applying for an Initial certificate in childhood education (grades 1-6). My undergraduate major is math. Am I free to choose either the Multi-Subject Content Specialty Test (CST) or the Math CST?

    No. In order to qualify for the childhood education certificate, you must take the Multi-Subject CST, regardless of your major.  Go to top

  4. How should I prepare for the tests?

    Preparation and practice Guides are available for all NYSTCE tests.  The guides contain complete content outlines for tests, sample test questions, and general advice on how to prepare for the tests.  These guides are available free of charge at the NYSTCE web site:  www.nystce.nesinc.comExternal LinkGo to top

Registration and Fees

  1. How do I register for the teacher certification exams?

    Register by Internet:  To register online to go www.nystce.nesinc.comExternal LinkGo to top 

  2. How much do the NYSTCEs cost?

    For NYSTCE fee information go to http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY17_testfees.aspExternal Link .   Go to top

  3. If I apply for the NYSTCE tests, do I also have to apply separately for certification?

    Yes. Although test scores are automatically reported to the Office of Teaching Initiatives, a separate application for certificate, with the supporting credentials, must also be filed with the Office of Teaching Initiatives.  Go to top

  4. Where can I get a Registration Bulletin and application form?

    The Registration Bulletin is now available online at http://www.nystce.nesinc.comExternal Link. Go to top

Test Scores

  1. If I lose a score report where can I get another copy?

    The Office of Teaching does not offer the service of providing test scores to applicants. For a fee, duplicate copies of score reports are available from Pearson up to three years after the respective score report mailing date.

    Beginning on January 15, 2010, score reports for all tests except the ATS–P (video) are available online for 45 days after the score report date. For details see "Requesting Additional Copies of Your Test Results" http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/NY14_addscoreinfo.aspExternal LinkGo to top

  2. If I don't pass a test on the first try, how often may I retake it?

    There is no restriction on the number of times a test may be taken.  Go to top

  3. How are test scores reported to the State Education Department?

    Test scores are automatically reported by social security number to the Office of Teaching Initiatives after each test administration even if a candidate has not yet made a formal application for a certificate.  Go to top

  4. Can I substitute qualifying scores for coursework or student teaching?

    No. The tests must be passed in addition to the education and classroom experience requirements for each title.  Go to top

  5. If I already possess a certificate based upon NTE scores, must I take the NYSTCEs to obtain an additional certificate in another title?

    Yes. All candidates for a certificate must now take the NYSTCE tests.  Go to top

Last Updated: February 21, 2014