Out-of-State – Reciprocity Opportunities

General Information For Applicants From Other States

  • New York State does have interstate contracts with more than 30 other states and jurisdictions for classroom teaching certificates.

    Go to Applicants from Other States for a list of States Party to the Interstate Agreement on Qualification of Educational Personnel, and for details on Enhanced Reciprocity leading to the Conditional Initial Certificate and National Board for Professional Teaching Standards Certificate Holders.
  • To pursue information on colleges with approved teacher education programs located outside of New York State check their particular websites and inquire directly to them. Verify that any Teacher Education program offered in another state is also accepted and accredited by that state for teaching credentials. For more information go to  http://www.http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/distance.htm  .

To Apply for a Conditional Initial Certificate

Applicants who possess a valid certificate in a contract state may apply for a Conditional Initial certificate. This certificate is valid for two years, during which time the teacher must satisfy the examination requirement for a regular Initial certificate. If the candidate has satisfied the testing requirement at the end of two years, a regular Initial certificate will be issued, valid for five years from the effective date of the Conditional Initial certificate.

Candidates issued Initial certificates must still satisfy all graduate degree, experience, and workshop requirements for the Professional certificate. Professional certification in most titles requires a master's degree, and three years full-time experience, the first year of which must include a mentored experience. The requirement for a mentored experience is waived, if the candidate has two or more years of teaching before the issuance of the Conditional Initial certificate.

You would need to submit an application, a copy of your out-of-state certificate and your transcripts for review.

  • To apply through the Interstate Agreement to receive a Conditional Initial certificate and to apply for fingerprint clearance, go to  .


To Go From a Conditional Initial Certificate to an Initial Certificate You Need:

  • Qualifying scores for the LAST, ATS-W and appropriate CST exam(s) relevant to the specific certificate you are pursuing. For all testing information please go to http://www.nystce.nesinc.com/ .

    Important: A new application is not required to advance from the Conditional Initial to the Initial certificate. However, all required testing documentation must be submitted to us at least six months prior to the expiration date of your Conditional Initial.
  • If not yet completed, you will also need to send us proof of completion for the required Workshop's. Find information on these go to Topics A-Z .


For Information on Tests


If You Hold A Valid Conditional Provisional or Initial Certificate (2 Years) And Want To Be Eligible For The Remainder Of The Provisional Certificate (Total 5 Years)

  •  To meet the requirements for the remainder of your Provisional Certification read the details on your certificate regarding any additional workshops and tests you may still need. Go to Topics A to Z  for the Child Abuse Identification and Awareness Workshop and the School Violence Prevention Workshop, and Testing Requirements New York State Teacher Certification Exams (NYSTCE).


If you Already Applied to NYSED

Allow at least 18 weeks from your most recent submission for issuance of certificate or notification of deficiencies by the process of individual transcript evaluation.
If you completed an approved teacher education program and have been college recommended allow 1 to 2 weeks.
NOTE: Turn-around times may vary during peak periods dependent upon the volume of applications.

Last Updated: May 16, 2013