Pupil Personnel Certificate Requirements

Titles include School Social Worker; School Psychologist; School Counselor; School Attendance Teacher; School Nurse Teacher and School Dental Hygiene Teacher. Certificates in these titles continue to be issued in the Provisional - Permanent series; they were not affected by certification requirements established for classroom teachers, effective February 2, 2004.

For a complete description of requirements for each of the pupil personnel service certificates, go to Search for Certification Requirements

You Must File an Application for Evaluation for Certification

  • Individuals who have completed an approved teacher preparation program should apply for certification using . Consult your college’s certification officer for the appropriate program codes and other institution-specific information you must include in your TEACH profile.
  • Those applying for certification through the individual transcript evaluation pathway should also apply using . Applicants can go to Individual Evaluation of U.S. Credentials for additional information. Those applicants with credentials from non-U.S. institutions can go to Individual Evaluation of Non-U.S. Credentials for more information.

NOTE: PAPER RECORDS ARE DESTROYED AFTER THREE YEARS. You must submit original transcripts from all colleges/universities attended with grades, GPA, and, if applicable, the conferral date(s) of the degree(s) awarded if you have not done so within the last three years.

If you Already Applied to NYSED –

Allow at least 18 weeks from your most recent submission for issuance of certificate or notification of deficiencies by the process of individual transcript evaluation.
If you completed an approved teacher education program and have been college recommended allow 1 to 2 weeks.
NOTE: Turn-around times may vary during peak periods dependent upon the volume of applications.

If You Already Applied to NYSED and Have a Pending Offer of Employment -

For more information about the service available to school districts, go to Expedited Service Requests for School Districts.

To Find a College Offering Approved Teacher Preparation Programs

  • Colleges Offering Approved Teacher Preparation Programs
  • For information regarding out-of-state teacher preparation programs check with the individual colleges and/or universities. Be sure to verify that any Teacher Education program offered in another state is also accepted and accredited by that state for teaching credentials. For more information about out-of-state teacher preparation programs visit: http://www.nasdtec.org/  .
  • For information about colleges with distance education programs in New York State, go to:
    Distance Learning.
  • "Certification Requirements for 50 States" is another helpful website you may wish to visit, go to http://www.uky.edu/Education/TEP/usacert.html .

NYS Alternative Programs For Second Career Professionals

Information on alternative teacher preparation programs offered by colleges is available at: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/career/prepprograms.html#alternative  .

Questions On Required  Fingerprints; Tests; Workshops Etc.

Comprehensive information on these topics and many others go to Topics A to Z .

Last Updated: November 27, 2013