Pupil Personnel Certificate Requirements
Titles include School Social Worker; School Psychologist; School Counselor; School Attendance Teacher; School Nurse Teacher and School Dental Hygiene Teacher. Certificates in these titles continue to be issued in the Provisional - Permanent series; they were not affected by certification requirements established for classroom teachers, effective February 2, 2004.
For a complete description of requirements for each of the pupil personnel service certificates, go to Search for Certification Requirements
- Individuals who have completed an approved teacher preparation program should apply for certification
using . Consult your college’s certification officer for the
appropriate program codes and other institution-specific information you must include in your TEACH profile.
- Those applying for certification through the individual transcript evaluation pathway should
also apply using . Applicants can go to Individual Evaluation of
U.S. Credentials for additional information. Those applicants with credentials from non-U.S. institutions can go to Individual Evaluation of Non-U.S. Credentials for more information.
NOTE: PAPER RECORDS ARE DESTROYED AFTER THREE YEARS. You must submit original transcripts from all colleges/universities attended with grades, GPA, and, if applicable, the conferral date(s) of the degree(s) awarded if you have not done so within the last three years.
If you Already Applied to NYSED –
WHEN TO EXPECT AN EVALUATION OR ISSUED CERTIFICATE
Allow at least 18 weeks from your
most recent submission for issuance of certificate or notification of
deficiencies by the process of individual transcript evaluation.
If you completed an approved teacher education program and have been college recommended allow 1 to 2 weeks.
NOTE: Turn-around times may vary during peak periods dependent upon the volume of applications.
If You Already Applied to NYSED and Have a Pending Offer of Employment -For more information about the service available to school districts, go to Expedited Service Requests for School Districts.
- Colleges Offering Approved Teacher Preparation Programs
- For information regarding out-of-state teacher preparation programs check with the individual colleges and/or universities. Be sure to verify that any Teacher Education program offered
in another state is also accepted and accredited by that state for teaching
credentials. For more information about out-of-state teacher preparation programs visit: http://www.nasdtec.org/ .
- For information about colleges with distance education programs in New York State, go to:
- "Certification Requirements for 50 States" is another helpful website you may wish to visit, go to http://www.uky.edu/Education/TEP/usacert.html .
NYS Alternative Programs For Second Career Professionals
Information on alternative teacher preparation programs offered by colleges is available at: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/career/prepprograms.html#alternative .
Questions On Required Fingerprints; Tests; Workshops Etc.
Comprehensive information on these topics and many others go to Topics A to Z .