Master’s Degree Requirement
For Professional CertificationAn appropriate Master’s degree from a regionally accredited college or university is required for Professional certification. For information go to Professional Certificate - Master's Degree Requirement .
The Master's degree can be any graduate degree awarded following the
satisfactory completion of at least a one-year graduate-level curriculum
and other requirements. The program must be offered by an institution of
higher education approved by the Commissioner of Education or a regional
For Permanent Certification
- Colleges Offering Approved Teacher Preparation Programs
- For information regarding out-of-state teacher preparation programs check with the individual colleges and/or universities. Be sure to verify that any Teacher Education program offered
in another state is also accepted and accredited by that state for teaching
credentials. For more information about out-of-state teacher preparation programs visit: http://www.nasdtec.org/ .
- For information about colleges with distance education programs in New York State, go to:
- "Certification Requirements for 50 States" is another helpful website you may wish to visit, go to http://www.uky.edu/Education/TEP/usacert.html .
Requirements for Classroom Teacher Certification
The new requirements and titles for classroom teachers have been in
effect since February 2, 2004. (Note: If you applied for certification before February 2, 2004, go to Applications Submitted Before February 2, 2004 for more information.) For additional information about the certificate area you are pursuing, go to
for Certification Requirements. Then for
- Select Classroom Teacher
- Select Subject Area
- Select Grade Level
- Select Title
- Select the Initial or Professional Certificate Type
- Then click Search. Once you have receive the search results click on the link for the requirement description.