About Certification - General Information
Requirements for Classroom Teacher Certification
The new requirements and titles for classroom teachers have been in
effect since February 2, 2004. (Note: If you applied for certification before February 2, 2004, go to Applications Submitted Before February 2, 2004 for more information.) For additional information about the certificate area you are pursuing, go to
for Certification Requirements. Then for
- Select Classroom Teacher
- Select Subject Area
- Select Grade Level
- Select Title
- Select the Initial or Professional Certificate Type
- Then click Search. Once you have receive the search results click on the link for the requirement description.
NOTE: If you already hold a valid NYS classroom teacher certificate and are looking for requirements for an additional certificate follow Search steps as detailed above. Scroll to the "Pathway: Individual Evaluation for Additional Classroom Teaching Certificate."
Important answers to Frequently Asked Questions including questions pertinent to topics like Mentoring Requirements and Professional Development, go to Frequently Asked Questions.
- Colleges Offering Approved Teacher Preparation Programs
- For information regarding out-of-state teacher preparation programs check with the individual colleges and/or universities. Be sure to verify that any Teacher Education program offered
in another state is also accepted and accredited by that state for teaching
credentials. For more information about out-of-state teacher preparation programs visit: http://www.nasdtec.org/ .
- For information about colleges with distance education programs in New York State, go to:
- "Certification Requirements for 50 States" is another helpful website you may wish to visit, go to http://www.uky.edu/Education/TEP/usacert.html .
- Individuals who have completed an approved teacher preparation program should apply for certification
using . Consult your college’s certification officer for the
appropriate program codes and other institution-specific information you must include in your TEACH profile.
- Those applying for certification through the individual transcript evaluation pathway should
also apply using . Applicants can go to Individual Evaluation of
U.S. Credentials for additional information. Those applicants with credentials from non-U.S. institutions can go to Individual Evaluation of Non-U.S. Credentials for more information.
NOTE: PAPER RECORDS ARE DESTROYED AFTER THREE YEARS. You must submit original transcripts from all colleges/universities attended with grades, GPA, and, if applicable, the conferral date(s) of the degree(s) awarded if you have not done so within the last three years.
Master's Degree Information
on the Master’s Degree requirement for the Professional certificate, is available at: http://www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/certificate/relatedmasters.htm.
NYS Alternative Programs for Second Career Professionals
Information on alternative teacher preparation programs offered by colleges is available at: www.highered.nysed.gov/tcert/career/prepprograms.html#alternative.
If you Already Applied to NYSED –
WHEN TO EXPECT AN EVALUATION OR ISSUED CERTIFICATE
Allow at least 18 weeks from your
most recent submission for issuance of certificate or notification of
deficiencies by the process of individual transcript evaluation.
If you completed an approved teacher education program and have been college recommended allow 1 to 2 weeks.
NOTE: Turn-around times may vary during peak periods dependent upon the volume of applications.
If you have already submitted your application for certification and have a bona-fide offer of employment, go to Expedited Service for more information about expedited processing of your application.
Other Helpful Links
Go to Related Links: For information on Credit by Exam, Financial Assistance, National Board for Professional Teaching Standards, New York City Department of Education, Office of Elementary, Middle, Secondary and Continuing Education, Office of the Professions; and more.