Leadership Certification for Applicants from Other States
Certificates for School Building Leader, School District leader and School District Business Leader are issued on the basis of completion of a New York State approved program or through acceptance of an appropriate comparable certificate from another state for the academic requirements for the New York State certificate. Certification is also possible under the following scenarios:
- The applicant does not hold a leadership certificate from another state, but has completed a comparable program that is NCATE or TEAC approved.
- The applicant has completed a comparable state-approved program
at the appropriate level and scope, and that program includes the following
minimum academic requirements:
- For SBL, at least 21 semester-hours of graduate level coursework in school leadership in addition to an internship.
- For SDL, a minimum of 27 semester-hours of graduate level school leadership coursework in addition to an internship. Applicants for the SDL certificate must also have a combined total of at least 60 semester-hours of graduate level coursework.
- For SDBL, a minimum of 27 semester-hours of graduate level school leadership along with business and financial management coursework in addition to an internship. Applicants for the SDBL certificate must also have a total of at least 60 semester-hours of graduate level coursework.
A master’s degree is required for all leadership certificates. Transcripts of applicants from other states must be reviewed to determine if the program completed is comparable to approved school leadership programs in the appropriate title offered in New York State. In all cases, final authority regarding acceptability remains with the New York State Education Department. How to Apply
For applicants who apply after February 1, 2009, the school leadership examination specific to the level and scope of the certificate will be required, with the exception of SDL and SDBL endorsement applicants who have at least three years of full-time administrative service working under the other state’s certificate. Additional information about the school leadership examinations is available go to www.nystce.nesinc.com .