Academic Literacy Skills Test (ALST) safety net
The ALST Safety Net allows any candidate, who takes and fails the ALST, to submit an attestation attesting that he/she has demonstrated comparable literacy skills consistent with what would be assessed by the ALST through course completion. The candidate must have completed a minimum of three semester hours and received a 3.0 grade point average or higher in such coursework. This safety net was implemented retroactively and will apply to anyone who has failed the ALST.
An original official transcript or a copy of the official transcript from the college/university where the coursework was completed that fulfills the requirements listed below must be submitted along with the attestation. The college/university where such coursework was completed must be a regionally accredited, degree-granting institution.
- The completed ALST attestation form together with an official original or a copy of the official transcript, with the course(s) that filled the requirement circled, must be submitted to the Office of Teaching Initiatives (OTI). To be eligible for the ALST Safety Net, the ALST Safety Net attestation and copy of the transcript must be received by the Office of Teaching Initiatives on, or before, June 30, 2017.
- After the ALST attestation is submitted to OTI and reviewed, and if approved, the document will be logged into the candidate’s TEACH account as a document received in the “Documents” table in TEACH. The document type is “ALST Safety Net Attestation”. The candidate’s ALST test score will not change.
- If the ALST attestation was submitted and is not logged into the candidate’s TEACH account it may still be under review.
- The exam requirement will not show as met until the safety net(s) are the last requirement for certification. If a candidate has met all requirements for certification on, or before, June 30, 2018, except the use of one or more of the safety nets, and the certificate has not issued, send an email to email@example.com with the candidates first and last name, the last four digits of the social security number and the date of birth, and request that the safety net(s) be applied. We will then review the candidate’s application.
- If necessary, candidates may take advantage of multiple safety nets, as available, in order to meet the requirements for certification provided all other certification requirements are completed by the date in the Safety Net Deadline Chart.