College and Universities Characteristics
College and Universities in New York State
All degree-credit colleges in New York State fall under the authority of the University of the State of New York and the Board of Regents. This group includes all public and private colleges with the exception of the two federal academies (Merchant Marine Academy and West Point).
Education Law, Title 8, Chapter II
- College means a higher educational institution authorized by the Regents to confer degrees.
- University means a higher educational institution offering a range of registered undergraduate and graduate curricula in the liberal arts and sciences, degrees in two or more professional fields, and doctoral programs in at least three academic fields.
- Junior college or two-year college means a higher educational institution which is authorized by the Regents to offer undergraduate curricula below the baccalaureate level which normally lead to the associate degree.
- Closed Colleges: Contacts
You may CREATE an Institution Profile and other selected reports from our
Map of degree-granting institutions by county
Distance education programs that are offered by accredited New York institutions and approved by the State Education Department (SED)
- Research and Development: Academic Institutional Profiles [NSF]
- State Higher Education Executive Officers Association (SHEEO)