Institutional Accreditation by the Board of Regents
The New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education serve as the nationally recognized accrediting agency for 24 institutions of higher education in New York State. One result of this accreditation is that these institutions are eligible for Title IV funds under the Higher Education Act if they choose to participate in these programs.
Scope of Accreditation and Statement
The United States Secretary of Education recognizes the New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education for the institutional accreditation of those degree-granting institutions of higher education in New York, including distance education offered by those institutions, that designate the agency as their sole or primary nationally recognized accrediting agency for purposes of establishing eligibility to participate in HEA programs. Currently, the Board of Regents and the Commissioner accredit 24 New York colleges and universities.
- Accreditation Actions
- Amendments to the Board of Regents Standards and Procedures for Institutional Accreditation
- Colleges accredited by the Regents and the Commissioner
- CEO 02-08 Important Information about New York Colleges that are Institutionally Accredited by the Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education in their Capacity as a Nationally Recognized Accrediting Agency
At the urging of the U.S. Department of Education, the accreditation
and State approval functions have been separated. The Office of Higher Education
has developed a
Handbook of Institutional Accreditation (555KB) PDF (953KB) that includes information related to the accreditation function:
- Application for Institutional Accreditation by the New York State Board of Regents and the Commissioner of Education
- Part 4, Regents Accreditation, Subpart 4-1, Voluntary Institutional Accreditation for Title IV Purposes
- Self-Study Guide for Institutional Accreditation - Introduction
- Self-Study Guide for Institutional Accreditation - Self-Study Format (361KB)
- Protocol for the Review of Institutions Seeking Accreditation or Renewal of Accreditation
- Annual Data Report Form (106 KB)
- Institutional Accreditation Policies Related to the Standards of the United States Secretary of Education
- New York State Regents Advisory Council on Institutional Accreditation ByLaws
- New York State Regents Advisory Council on Institutional Accreditation
You may also write to the Office of College and University Evaluation, New York State Education Department, 89 Washington Avenue, 5 N. Mezzanine, Albany, New York 12234.